We went and seen Aaron again this past Sunday. He seems to be enjoying the visits as much as I am. He has been sick this last week, he sounded very congested. He asked me if I could find out if there is any kind of financial help available to felons who want to go to college. It seems there are plenty of grants available for felons. I find it funny though (not really) that the only felony charge that can keep a person from getting grants for college is drug convictions. Personally I can see many other felony convictions that I feel should not be eligible. Why is it only drug convictions? Thankfully Aaron doesn't have drug convictions. Oh how proud that makes me? My son hasn't been convicted of a drug crime!! He only committed burglary and theft so he could buy drugs!! If that doesn't sound ridiculous lol.
Back to Aaron being sick.... it was pretty obvious Aaron wasn't dope sick but that first moment of realizing he was sick it was a thought. Does that thought ever go away?
I had no idea about the grants. Well, I guess my son is out because he is a felon because of drugs. It will take me a bit of time to wrap my head around that - and try to figure out the logic behind it.
ReplyDeleteAnytime my son is sick I think it is "dope sick". There are probably many things that will take years to go away if ever.
It is nice to hear that your visits are going well.
Tori, he is most likely not out. There is criteria to meet that still makes them eligible. I should have put that in there too but was in a hurry to post. It caught me of guard that drug is the only thing that can prevent help. It's amazing that a violent rapist is not included. A rapist is the last person I would want walking around on a college campus, but maybe that is just me?
ReplyDeleteMy daughter is a convicted felon. She has been convicted of fraud and grand larceny. She is a drug addict but she does not have "drug charges". She committed these crimes to support her drug habit. She was on probation and never drug tested, because she was not convicted of a drug charge. I remember visiting her in jail, and it never went well. I am glad that your visits are going well. She has already finished her degree (she is now 30, almost 31)but she works in a job that does not require much education, but they don't drug test.
ReplyDeleteI heard about the grans before but my son never stayed clean long enough to apply. I have never heard of anyone actually getting a grant like that however.
ReplyDeleteIt is great to hear the visit are going well. Enjoy each moment.
In prayer for you and Aaron.