Monday, October 22, 2012
The review
I remember in my mid to late twenties, working as a cashier in a grocery store. I had so many wonderful conversations with customers. I couldn't even begin to remember how many conversations I have had that were geared around how fast time goes by. Countless people would say... "if you think time is going fast now just wait until you hit 30"! I learned after 30 that they weren't kidding!! Of course once your in your 30 the saying becomes... If you think time is going fast now just wait until you hit 40! Once again not to long after turning 40 I discovered that they really knew what they were talking about. Forty to forty-five has been a blur, which in some moments has been a good thing. What I have also found is if your waiting for a parole review to take place at some point in a particular month... time, becomes very slooow!!! I was beginning to wonder if the day would ever get here. Well today was the day. I missed Aaron's first call. I hate when I can't hear my phone!! The wait becomes even longer wondering how long he will wait before he calls back. Do you have any idea how long twenty minutes can seem even though it's not any longer than any other 20 minutes of any other day. HA HA how do you like how long I have drawn this out? Does it seem like "forever"? OK back to being serious. The verdict is parole upon completion of a substance abuse program. This mean he will not be home in December. At some point in December he will be visited by somebody on the board and they will let him know where he will go. Now here's the kicker. If they tell Aaron he will go for 3 months he'll go and will be out in March. If they tell him he will go for 6 months he will refuse the program, lose any "good time" he has accrued and be out in March. No, that is not a typo It's March either way. As I see it right now there is a serious flaw in this program. Aaron applied for the SAP program last October. He has never been called up for it and now with only 5 months left they want him in a program that has the potential to be a year long program. I personally do not see any inmate no matter how serious they are about maintaining their sobriety staying in a jail setting any longer than they have to. So March it is. It's very confusing to feel disappointment and relief at the same time, disappointment because he won't be home for Christmas again this year but relief because it's five more months free from the stresses that accompany being a POA. Let the countdown begin. I bet it flies by!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment