Friday, May 6, 2011

Protective custody? Really? Maybe not!

When Aaron was taken to jail from drug court on April 14th he was not housed in the main jail. He was put into the Restrictive Custody Center (RCC). RCC is where they house trustees, weekenders, and the like that don't actually require or have earned the privilege of not being behind bars. At some point as his letter states he was moved to the jail and put in the "hole" aka solitary confinement for "some stupid shit". More on this later.

I decided to visit Aaron yesterday to see how he is handling the situation, and to find out what we can expect to happen as far as how long and where he will spend his time. We had a good conversation. He is OK with being removed from the drug court program. I guess I can understand why, he is now taking the easy road, he now doesn't have to "work" his recovery. It upsets me that he is accepting it so easily, but nothing I can do about it so I'm letting it go. He talked about how he still needs to "fix" things with us. I told him that there isn't anything he can say to or do for us that will "fix" it, but his actions will. Working on staying clean, doing what ever you need to do to move forward with your life will be the solution. It will all fall into place as you move forward.

I informed Aaron that I will not be visiting him every week but I will visit on occasion if I have time. Also that the phone calls would be accepted few and far between, we will communicate mostly through letters. He was told that I wouldn't put money on the books or get him commissary, although he does have a paycheck and a little bit of tax refund money that I will put on there for him, but since he turns 21 in 4 weeks there will be no more child support and I can't afford it.

I told Aaron that I only ask one thing of him. No matter how much time you spend in jail, be it 6 months or 6 years do one thing for yourself. Go to rehab. Jail will not rehabilitate you, and you haven't been to a true rehab center. He agreed. Yeah we all know what that means, but anyway.

So we got all of that out of the way and I asked him about the "stupid shit". I won't go into the whole conversation, I won't go into detail of how Aaron skirted around his involvement because "HE" didn't do anything of course (please note sarcasm there). So it comes down to this.... Inside the RCC some of the inmates had been huffing paint. Where does Aaron fit into all of this? Aaron was the one caught holding the bag. Literally, holding the bag that contained a rag soaked with paint. He was put in the "hole" because they were hoping he would snitch on the ones that had actually done it (his words).


A day in the life of an addicts mother. Gotta love it!!

4 comments:

  1. There will always be opportunites for an addict to abuse, even in jail, if they are willing to pay the price.

    Always remember, Aaron is accountable for his actions. I am so glad as a dad I really didn't have to suffer my son's issues if I didn't choose too. (after taking a long time to learn this lesson)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so hard to understand that they just to learn as easily as we would hope. One hour in jail would be enough for me. You never know what will turn them around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so sad that we incarcerate addicts. What purpose does it serve?

    Hope at least Aaron takes the time to think hard and long at what got him where he is today.

    God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just so you know, I was here and I admire your strength. :)

    ReplyDelete