Saturday, May 14, 2011

What we don't know

We will never know everything our addict has done. I know that I don't want to know. If Aaron ever decides to share of course I will listen even though I know it is going to be hell hearing about that side of his life. In the last few days I have gained some insight on Aaron's addiction. He has been using longer than he has said. No surprise there. Going through his belongings that I picked up from Bill's I found a timeline he created. 

click to enlarge.
In 2000 the timeline begins. His first use of marijuana. It's heart breaking. He was 10. What hurts me even more is I know where he got it. He stole it from me. I now feel the need to explain my own drug use. I have been a causal "smoker" for years. By casual I mean a maybe a couple times a year if that. I am in no way an addict and since I have found out about Aaron's addiction I have not smoked. I have also never tried any other drug. There is a story that goes along with Aaron stealing the pot. It's really not worth going into other than to say, we did bust him out, he confessed, I never dreamed he had actually smoked it. I believed his story. He was only 10.


In Aaron's belongings there are many worksheets that Aaron has completed. Some are from his time at Boulware Mission others are from the drug court program. The following letter he had written to himself shows that he "gets" it. Of course I have to wonder, knowing how conniving an addict can be, does he really "get it" or is he just saying what he knows everybody wants to hear? Tough question and only he knows the true answer.

click to enlarge



3 comments:

  1. Ditto the whole paragraph about pot. I could have written that.

    I never believed it was a "gateway" drug. But now I realize that for kids who are predisposed to addiction, it is.

    I don't beat myself up about it. My son was also drinking at 10.

    We have to forgive ourselves as much as we have to forgive our addicts. It's a tough world out there.

    God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing that the things he wrote. I don't know if it will make you feel any better, but there were never drugs in our house neither with his Father or my home. I don't even drink casually, and I am not an addict. I just don't like the taste and his real Father had a sip of beer when he was 9 and hated it so much he never has touched it since and he never did any drugs either.

    His Step-Father does not do drugs or drink either. Our son was not around anyone in our immediate family that has an addiction. So where the hell did it come from? I don't know but it is here. I know plenty of people who casually smoke pot and their kids are not addicts.

    It just baffles me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You dont cause it...

    LIke Tori ..my home was and remains drug free..
    Weed..ya a gateway drug for those kids prediposed ...but my son ( 2 years clean ) said..regardless of how he grew up he would have been an addict...

    Deal it the here and now..and dont worry about why..
    1 day at time!

    peace and strength!

    ReplyDelete