Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Enter Maizy stage right part 2

Act 5976, scene 30120. Enter Maizy stage right.
Set: Inside pole barn, cat perched on table, inmates standing around talking, 6 dogs present.
Maizy leaps onto the table, head butts the cat off of the table into pack of patiently waiting dogs. Inmate #4 swiftly grabs cat saving cat from an untimely demise. Inmate #1 (Aaron) retreats with Maizy to her kennel. (end scene).

Yes, the above did happen!!

It has come to my attention that I didn't finish my last post. Don't know what happened there other than to say I must have gotten side tracked. 

Maizy, she is such a cute dog, I haven't met her yet. Her story is sad. She has been a throw away dog. She has been adopted several times and brought back to the rescue each time. She is a problem child. She does things she shouldn't, knows she shouldn't do them but does them anyway. Has a passion for food or as Aaron calls it, an obsession. Can dogs be addicts? The rescue here in town got Maizy from another rescue who also couldn't find her a permanent home.

After seeing Aaron's interview, I got my happy ass down to the jail for an 8 PM Friday night visit. Aaron walks through the door grinning asking if I seen the news. All I could say was "you confuse me". He went on to explain the circumstances behind his comment. Maizy is a rambunctious girl, she wanted to play with one of the other dogs but, said dog, didn't take to it very well and bit her. She ended up with stitches on both sides of her neck. Maizy was left with two options. Option one, she would stay at the rescue until somebody possibly adopted her because they could no longer offer her at the adopt-a-thon, or, she would go through the 10 week jail program again. This upset Aaron and knowing we had already offered to adopt her if he wanted her he told them his family would take her. Saturday morning I adopted Maizy and will get to pick her up when her stitches come out. 
The captain at the jail in charge of the dog training program was at the rescue while I was there. He explained what really has happened with the inmates and the dogs in this program. He said the first couple of weeks the inmates were frustrated with the dogs because they didn't seem to be learning anything. As the weeks progressed the dogs and the inmates finally came together and the dogs started obeying commands. As the  inmates seen the changes in the dogs the captain seen changes in the inmates. Bonds started forming. Not one inmate would admit they were bonding with these animals, but it was clear. Of six dogs trained, four were adopted by inmates families. 
I am both looking forward to her coming home and kind of not looking forward to it at the same time. Maizy likes to run, if she manages to get loose she will not stop running until she gets tired. I'm to old for that!! OK, who am I kidding, I'm not in shape to chase a dog. Maizy will have to be crate trained in an effort to keep her out of trouble. No, she won't be in a crate 24/7 but won't be able to have free run of the house when we are gone or sleeping. Of course for this to work with an energetic dog, she will have to be exercised regularly. I'm looking at this as a way for me to get my daily exercise in also. This may be a good thing as , well, bluntly put, I'm fucking lazy!! However, I can't wait to love on this, I am told, sweet, lovable girl.
When I was at the rescue filling out paperwork a woman working there told me I better take care of her girl, said I had no idea about all of this and started crying. Little did she know I know exactly what she felt. I have hand raised and re homed many animals over the years. Most recently two orphaned kittens, two weeks old that I had to set an alarm every two hours to bottle feed. Not to mention that four days previous to this I had to bury one of my cats who died very suddenly and unexpectedly. So anyway, under no circumstances, can Maizy not live at our house. It will be a big adjustment for all of us, probably more so for us than her. We are going to have to change our habits to accommodate Maizy in order for her to be the best dog she can be. I think Aaron sees a little bit of himself in Maizy ( I know I do) so failure is not an option.

How can you not love that face!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment